Can I Make Money As a Freelance Writer? How Much? – This Is What a Freelancer Said!
Can I make money as a freelance writer? You’ve probably heard of people who write online for a living. They write articles at home and get paid. It sounds easy and a lot of fun, and it just seems like a great way to unleash your creativity. But before you give up your day job, let’s dig deeper into the world of freelance writing.
I want to mention that this post is originally created by a freelance writer. I wanted to hear what does he think about the subject so I can share them with you. I must admit that what he wrote, may surprise you as it surprised myself.
Want to See the #1 Online Business Opportunity in 2019?
We've reviewed +600 online business opportunities on YourOnlineRevenue.com and FINALLY found the best one. Put your email address below to learn more...
We respect your privacy. No Spam.
What is Freelance Writing and How Does It Work?
Freelance writing means you write for different companies or individuals, and you’re not bound by any long-term contract except the one you enter into for the current task. The way it works varies, but usually, you are emailed a topic to write about. It includes the instructions, deadline and how you’ll be paid.
Once you’re done writing, you submit the article via email or the company’s website. You get paid upon completion of the job and move on to the next task. If the contract runs for several months, you’ll be paid on a regular basis, weekly, monthly etc. usually via PayPal.
HireWriters is one very popular and high-quality place to earn money as a freelance writer. I have already bought many articles there.
Who is Freelance Writing For?
Freelance writing is for anyone who wants to earn extra income. Anyone who can type on a word processor can apply. These jobs are open to staying at home moms, dads, students, anyone who wants to earn more money. While freelance writing can take many forms, most are now done online.
If you don’t have a job and need to make a few bucks, you can go online and look for a writing job. If you’re a parent who has a job but wants to earn more, freelance writing is an option too.
- Freelance Online Writing Jobs are Legit: there are online job scams, but freelance writing is legit. There are companies and individuals who will pay you to write articles for them.
- Work at Home: being able to work at home means no traffic, no looking for parking lots, no annoying co-workers and no boss over your shoulders. You don’t have to dress up, you can eat home cooked food and don’t have to leave your bedroom to go to work.
- Little or No Work Experience Required: there’s no need for a degree in journalism. The topics are often diverse and as long as you know how to research and write, you can be a freelance writer.
- No Messy Contracts: once you’re done writing for a client, you can move on to the next one. There’s no need to put up with a client you don’t like.
- Take a Break Anytime: don’t feel like working for the next week or so? Once you’re done with the current contract, you can take a break and relax.
Freelance writing sounds like fun, but it’s not exactly the dream job you may think it is. In the following section, we’ll examine the facts that aspiring freelance writers have to know.
- There are Still Deadlines: one of the most common misconceptions is that freelance writers can work any time of the day they want. That’s not exactly true. When a client sends you articles to write, there’s a deadline. You must finish the articles within the day or you may not get paid. Sure you can start late, but if you do, you’ll be pressed for time later. In other words, it’s just like working in an office.
- No Benefits: forget about social security, 401k, maternity leave pay, paid vacation leave, medical leave, etc. You will not get any of those as a freelance writer. You’re pretty much on your own unless you have another job that pays for that.
- There are Scammers: yes, there are legitimate job offers, but there are also scam artists who will ask you to write articles but will disappear when it’s time to pay. This isn’t just common in online writing jobs but online work in general.
- You need to do a lot of research. Whether you’re writing about health, social media, SEO, reviewing a product, etc. you have to do your homework. You cannot just copy paste information you see online because there is software which can detect that. If your work contains plagiarized content, you won’t get paid, so it must be all original.
- You’ll Do Editing: you won’t just write, as you’ll need to proofread and edit your articles. If there are grammatical errors, the client will return it. You won’t get paid until the client is satisfied with your work.
- Competition is Stiff: you’re not the only freelance writer online, so you’ll be competing with others for the best paying gigs. If you’re just starting out, it’s going to be an uphill battle as clients prefer experienced writers. To build up your portfolio, you’ll have to take low paying jobs.
- Pay Varies: freelance writers make $24 on average, but that’s assuming you’re an established writer. If you’re new, the pay will be lower.
- Distractions at Home: there are so many possible distractions to working at home. Kids, friends dropping by, phone calls, TV, etc. Since you’re unsupervised, it’s tempting to slack off. This will affect the quality of your work and make your client unhappy.
- No Job Security: how long is this writing gig going to last? The fact that there’s no long-term contract gives you freedom. But what happens if you no longer get orders from that client?
My Final Opinion of Freelance Writing
So can you earn money from freelance writing? Sure, but it isn’t as easy as people might think. It entails a lot of work, and the pay isn’t what people or the job description makes it out to be. Not only do you have to work hard, but the pay, especially when you’re starting out, can be low.
If you want to make a living from home, a better option would be affiliate marketing. I know a very good a community-based online program that teaches you the step-by-step how to create your own online business. Membership is free and there are tips to help build websites and how to monetize them. Take a closer look and start for free!
Have you worked as a freelance writer? Where?